I am often asked for a simple, effective, no-nonsense approach to goal setting that can be used by anyone, anywhere, anytime.
What follows is what I affectionately call the Six Step Makeover.
It’s a simple process that’s easy to learn, easy to apply, and easy to get results from.
Follow it to the letter and you will be quite pleased with the outcome.
1. WHAT specific goal do you want to achieve?
Be precise or don’t bother moving to the next step.
2. WHY must this goal be achieved now?
Be clear on the key drivers and motivation or the first obstacle will be your undoing.
3. WHO will help you to achieve this goal?
Be sure that these are the right people, with the right talents, attitudes and intentions.
4. WHERE do you currently stand in relation to this goal?
Deal with the facts and identify the size of the performance gap.
5. HOW do you plan on accomplishing this goal?
Be deliberate. Identify the exact steps, tasks, deadliones and assign responsibility.
6. WHEN will victory be claimed?
Be committed, enforce your deadline, and focus on the goal until achieved.