Authors: Paul Picton, MB, Ch B MRCP, FRCA et al
Anesthesiology published August 2015
Background:: Beach chair positioning during general anesthesia is associated with cerebral oxygen desaturation. Changes in cerebral oxygenation resulting from the interaction of inspired oxygen fraction (Fio2), end-tidal carbon dioxide (PETco2), and anesthetic choice have not been fully evaluated in anesthetized patients in the beach chair position.
Methods:: This is a prospective interventional within-group study of patients undergoing shoulder surgery in the beach chair position that incorporated a randomized comparison between two anesthetics. Fifty-six patients were randomized to receive desflurane or total intravenous anesthesia with propofol. Following induction of anesthesia and positioning, Fio2 and minute ventilation were sequentially adjusted for all patients. Regional cerebral oxygenation (rSo2) was the primary outcome and was recorded at each of five set points.
Results:: While maintaining Fio2 at 0.3 and PETco2 at 30 mmHg, there was a decrease in rSo2 from 68% (SD, 12) to 61% (SD, 12) (P < 0.001) following beach chair positioning. The combined interventions of increasing Fio2 to 1.0 and increasing PETco2 to 45 mmHg resulted in a 14% point improvement in rSo2 to 75% (SD, 12) (P <0.001) for patients anesthetized in the beach chair position. There was no significant interaction effect of the anesthetic at the study intervention points.
Conclusions:: Increasing Fio2 and PETco2 resulted in a significant increase in rSo2 that overcomes desaturation in patients anesthetized in the beach chair position and that appears independent of anesthetic choice.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.