Many managers use outdated methods of motivation like bribery and dangling a carrot. Perceived as manipulation, these methods backfire by creating mistrust, passive-aggressive behavior and inaction.
Inspiring employees, on the other hand, is about being authentic, modeling the behaviors and attitudes for others to follow, and creating impetus for them to take action.
Here are five tips to inspire employees to higher performance:
1. Communicate a vision with high energy. If a supervisor is passionate about the vision and has consistent energy, it is contagious. When employees feel that energy, they want to be a part of the vision.
2. Foster a team dynamic. A manager’s central focus should be his team of employees. Managers should support the team, identify successes and praise individual workers and the entire group.
3. Be trustworthy. Trust is the key factor in employee performance. When employees feel they can trust their boss’s decisions and that they are supported, they perform at higher levels.
4. Focus on the positive. When managers focus on the positive outcome of a project and do not succumb to peer pressure, they are highly respected by their employees. When the team sees that others who challenge, gossip or try to deter them off of the mission do not sway the manager, they are inspired to model the same behavior.
5. Be caring and compassionate. These two traits are crucial for inspiring others. Take the time to get to know and understand the employees on your team. Adapt to their styles. Showing this respect inspires team members.
So out with motivation and in with authentic leadership! The result will be inspired employees who perform at higher levels.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.