Here are eight anesthesia updates reported on March 3:
1. There are 42,264 total active anesthesiologists in the country, according to the Association of American Medical College’s “2022 Physician Specialty Data Report.”
2. New York City-based Columbia University is the most expensive top-ranked medical university for anesthesiologists in 2023, costing students $66,816 a year, according to U.S. News & World Report.
3. Former Escondido, Calif.-based anesthesiologist Leng Ky was sentenced to 17 years in prison for sexually assaulting patients while they were unconscious.
4. As of March 12, Cigna lowered reimbursements for non-medically directed procedures performed by certified registered nurse anesthetists by 15 percent.
5. Denver is the highest-paying city for anesthesiologists with one to seven years of experience, according to Medscape’s salary explorer.
6. California has the most practicing anesthesiologists of any state, according to data collected in January by the Kaiser Family Foundation.
7. Guardian, a mobile app developed by medtech company Vigilant Medical Solutions, allows anesthesiologists to monitor patients’ vitals via smartphone.
8. Lack of respect is the biggest contributor to anesthesiologist stress, according to Medscape’s “Anesthesiologist Lifestyle, Happiness & Burnout Report 2023”