- 70% experienced a termination mid-contract within the last year. All were from United Health Care.
- 38% said an insurance carrier notified them of a non-renewal within the last year. Again, all from United.
- 40% said an insurance carrier lowered their rate mid-contract within the last year. United and Blue Cross Blue Shield were mentioned.
- 41% said an insurance carrier lowered their contract rate at renewal of the contract. United and Cigna were mentioned.
- 64% said they faced a situation in which a payor gave an ultimatum between accepting a rate reduction or forcing a contract termination prior to the end of a contract.
Author: Beverly K. Phillip, MD, FACA, FASA
ASA Monday Morning Feb 15, 2021
Welcome to Monday Morning!
We have some preliminary data back from the survey on insurance carrier contracts we posted last week. So far, there have been 65 responses from 24 states, with group sizes from one to multiple thousands. Of those, 35 said they were not part of a large national practice, and 29 were.
Some notable early findings: