A bar owner in the U.K. suffered an acute myocardial infarction after drinking approximately 12 energy drinks every day for a year. According to a new report from HullLive, Lee Kaman, 53, is now warning others about these drinks and advocating for them to be banned altogether.
Kamen emphasized that he does not drink or smoke. The energy drinks, he said, were to help him make it through long days at work.
“When I was in hospital after the heart attack, the doctor told me the energy drink consumption was the cause,” Kamen said. “I didn’t have a clue there was anything wrong with drinking them until then. It was a hell of a shock at the time, but now I am passionate about this issue.”
Kamen has also said he does not think these drinks should be sold to children. When his daughter brought an energy drink home, he took it from her and poured it down the drain.
“Shops should not be selling them to kids,” he said.