The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) released a statement on the Proposed Rule and below are the top issues affecting anesthesia providers:
• The Proposed Rule reduces the anesthesia conversion factor to $20.71, a 3.9% reduction from the current rate of $21.56.
• An additional potential reduction of 1% based on actual payment rates that are impacted by a range of proposed policy changes related to physician work, practice expense and malpractice RVUs.
• CPT codes 64415, 64416, 64417, 64445, 64446, 64447 and 64448 were identified by the CPT Editorial Panel and the RVS Update Committee (RUC) to be revised to bundle ultrasound imaging (CPT 76942) into the procedure codes.
• For chronic pain providers, CMS has proposed two new HCPCs G-codes, GYYY1 and GYYY2, to improve the care experience for individuals with acute and chronic pain, expand access to evidence-based treatments for acute and chronic pain and to address equity issues in this area.
• For Quality Reporting, CMS has proposed to remove MIPS 76 (Prevention of Central Venous Catheter (CVC) – Related Bloodstream Infections) from MIPS and the Anesthesiology Measure Set. CMS has proposed the inclusion of a new measure, Screening for Social Drivers of Health in the measure set. No other changes were made to the Anesthesiology Specialty Measure set.